Increased levels of blue-green algae have been found in local lakes, such as Lake Needwood and Lake Frank in Rock Creek Regional Park. This algae is creating a toxin known as microcystin. If ingested, this toxin can cause liver damage.
With this nice summer weather, we know that many of you enjoy time walking with your canine companions by the nearby lakes. Please be cautious when doing so - do not let your furry friend drink from the lake water or swim in it (as some can get ingested in the process).
Signs that your dog has been affected include: excessive drooling, panting, fainting, vomiting and even seizure-like activity. If you see any of these signs - please call us or your local ER.
For more information, click on the link below: