Increased levels of blue-green algae have been found in local lakes, such as Lake Needwood and Lake Frank in Rock Creek Regional Park. This algae is creating a toxin known as microcystin. If ingested, this toxin can cause liver damage.
With this nice summer weather, we know that many of you enjoy time walking with your canine companions by the nearby lakes. Please be cautious when doing so - do not let your furry friend drink from the lake water or swim in it (as some can get ingested in the process).
Signs that your dog has been affected include: excessive drooling, panting, fainting, vomiting and even seizure-like activity. If you see any of these signs - please call us or your local ER.
For more information, click on the link below:
The FDA is investigating a possible link between certain grain-free dog foods and cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart). In particular, they are looking at foods that contain the following in their first 10 ingredients: Peas, Lentils, Other Legume Seeds and Potatoes
Read more on the topic by clicking on the following link:
If your pet is eating any of the foods listed, please let us know. We recommend that all pets be on a high quality, well-rounded diet, which may include grains.